RE: [ceph-users] un-even data filled on OSDs

Hello Sage,

are there any development plans to improve PG distribution to OSDs?

We use CephFS on Infernalis and objects are distributed very well across the
PGs. But the automatic PG distribution creates large fluctuations, even in the
simplest case for same-sized OSDs and a flat hierarchy using 3x replication.
Testing with crushtool, we would need an unreasonable high number of PG/OSD to
have a nearly-flat distribution.
Reweighting the PGs with "ceph osd reweight" helped for our cache-pool since it
has a flat hierarchy (one OSD/host). The EC pool on the other hand has a
hierarchy with around 2-4 OSDs (1-4TB / OSD) per host and redundancy is
distributed across hosts (6-8TB / host). I assume, there would be no way around
tuning the host weights in the crush map in this case?

Markus