Re: [ceph-users] Hammer vs Jewel librbd performance testing and git bisection results

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Jason Dillaman <jdillama@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Awesome work Mark!  Comments / questions inline below:
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> There are several commits of interest that have a noticeable effect on 128K
>> sequential read performance:
>>

>> 1) https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/3a7b5e3
>>
>> This commit was the first that introduced anywhere from a 0-10% performance
>> decrease in the 128K sequential read tests.  Primarily it made performance
>> lower on average and more variable.
>
> This one is surprising to me since this change is also in Hammer
> (cf6e1f50ea7b5c2fd6298be77c06ed4765d66611).  When you are performing
> the bisect, are you keeping the OSDs at the same version and only
> swapping out librbd?
>
>> 2) https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/c474ee42
>>
>> This commit had a very large impact, reducing performance by another 20-25%.
>
> Definitely an area we should optimize given the number of
> AioCompletions that are constructed.

Previously I talked to josh about the cpu time caused by
librbd::AioCompletion. The mutex construct and deconstruct hurt a lot.

A idea is create a object pool to cache this or add a api to allow
user to reset AioCompletion to make it reuse