Re: How are you dealing with hammer -> jewel upgrades?

On 05/10/2016 07:13 PM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> I was thinking about handling it in the OSD directly, particularly
> since it already has the UID from --setuid.
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/15733

Thanks, Ken, for reminding me of that tracker issue! I would rather implement the recursive ownership change for filestore-backed OSDs (assuming it's not a totally insane thing to be doing) in ceph-disk than in the OSD itself, for the following reasons.

ceph-disk already contains heuristics for determining the user/group to pass to ceph-osd [1] and "--setuser ceph --setgroup ceph" is hardcoded when starting ceph-osd via the systemd service [2].

If someone is passing a user/group other than "ceph" to the OSD via --setuser/--setgroup, they will be doing the same with ceph-disk (which also takes --setuser/--setgroup). Alternatively they will not be using ceph-disk at all.

Right?

Nathan

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/ceph-disk/ceph_disk/main.py#L951
[2] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/systemd/ceph-osd%40.service#L12