RE: Implementing bitmap based space allocator for BlueStore

Hi Ramesh!

On Tue, 10 May 2016, Ramesh Chander wrote:
> Hi Ceph Developers,
>
> This is request to review PR:
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9031
>
> is for below mentioned bitmap based allocator in BlueStore.
>
> In short please review the code.
>

> Details: (same mentioned in pull request)
> This is Bitmap based allocator for BlueStore.
> Motivation:
> 1. Reduction of memory by using just one bit for single block (as compared to 8 + 8 byes in case of extent based allocator).
> 2. Concurrent allocations via multiple threads.
>
> It exposes mainly these interfaces:
> 1. Allocate contiguous blocks.
> 2. Allocate non-contiguous blocks.

Note that we only need one more, more like #2; there isn't anywhere in the
code that needs a single contiguous allocation. The only exception is that
the allocate is expected to respect the currently configured
min_alloc_size.  I think this means the dueling alloc_blocks vs
alloc_blocks_dis implementations can be collapsed into one that takes a
alloc_unit and desired size for the allocation.

I did a quick high-level review just for the integration points and style;
see PR comments.

Thanks!
sage