Re: removing 'rados cppool' command

On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 03:41:34PM -0400, Sage Weil wrote:
> This PR
>
> 	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/8975
>
> removes the 'rados cppool' command.  The main problem is that the command
> does not make a faithful copy of all data because it doesn't preserve the
> snapshots (and snapshot related metadata).  That means if you copy an RBD
> pool it will render the images somewhat broken (snaps won't be present and
> won't work properly).  It also doesn't preserve the user_version field
> that some librados users may rely on.
>
> Since it's obscure and of limited use, this PR just removes it.

Copying a pool sometimes is useful, even with those limitations.

Until there is an alternative way to do the same I would not remove
this. A better approach to me is to move this functionality to
something like `ceph_radostool` (people use such tools only when
facing extraordinary situations so they are more careful and expect
limitations).

--
Mykola Golub