Re. building boost statically

On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 18:47 -0400, Sage Weil wrote:

Hi folks,

We'd really like to use the latest boost, mainly so that we can use
small_vector in a zillion places and avoid extra memory allocations.

There are other advantages to upgrading Boost as well, like optimizations in libraries such as Spirit Classic and of course bugfixes. Since Boost is free to make breaking changes across versions, having control over the exact version we build against may benefit is in terms of stability as well.

Another idea: The "bcp" utility that comes with Boost allows you extract modules from the rest of the tree, so if we have our own submodule we don't necessarily even need to build everything. Finally, most of Boost is header-only, so with the exception (ha-hah!) of the libraries you've already mentioned I'd guess there's not a ton to do in terms of packaging.

Another alternative is to add an autoconf configure option to target a specific directory. (I'm looking at this now, actually-- it's easy to get the top-level configure.ac to do this, but I'm not that great with autoconf so the lower-level Makefile.am macros aren't showing up for me quite yet.)

I think that being able to link it dynamically makes the most sense-- others have already mentioned the binary size issue, might as well nip anything further in the bud if we can.

That's my two bits,

-Jesse