Re: OSDMap partitioning

Hi,

----- Original Message -----

> > Second, I've always been working under the assumption that placement
> > is a function of workload as well as hardware. At least there's a lot
> > of interesting space in the 'placement function choice'/'workload
> > optimization' intersection.

A lot of the CohortFS work after incorporating Ceph was indeed about adapting
Ceph abstractions to provide first-class support for workload and tenant isolation,
it is for me difficult to imagine not needing this in a system that addresses the
problems Ceph does, at the intended scale.

> Hmm, this is true.  I've been assuming the workload-informed placement
> would be a tier, not something within a pool.  The fundamental rados
> property is that the map is enough to find your data... by it's *name*.
> The moment the placement depends on who wrote 'foo' (and not the name of
> 'foo') that doesn't work.

Tiers are great, but they represent another compositional primitive, not
an alternative to an ability to fundamentally construct the data/server
aggregate

In addition to workload, there is isolation.  While geopolitical/regulatory
scale segregation is important in cloud, more fine-grained isolation of
all different kinds is important for policy contorl within data centers.

I'm restricting myself to just a few points in this discussion for now, I
am transiting an airport.

Regards,

Matt

--