Re: Ann Arbor Team's Flexible I/O Proposals (Ceph Next)

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Adam C. Emerson <aemerson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 15/04/2016, Milosz Tanski wrote:
> [snip]
>> As librados is today, it encapsulates it's own networking and event
>> code. This is pretty frustrating to apps that already have their own
>> eventloop that want to integrate it.
>
> When you say integrating with an event loop, would being able to hand off a
> function or object to asynchronous calls that would then use whatever mechanism
> your event loop had for submitting events be sufficient?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by networking in this case. Some means for the
> library to ask your client to set up or terminate a connection when it needs to
> talk to an OSD or monitor?

Sorry I wasn't explicit enough in the first round (eod friday).

Ideally the library would let you reentrant and let you hand off all
networking eg. opening, closing connections & read/write to your
chosen API. In my case I would hook it up to folly, but I can imagine
people would want to use their library of choice (libev / libevent /
boost::asio / whatever).

This can open possibilities like using DPDK sdk (via SeaStar) or
tighter integration with the qemu eventloop.

--
Milosz Tanski
CTO

p: 646-253-9055