MADV_MERGEABLE for osdmaps etc...

Hi ceph-devel,

Did anyone ever consider using madvise MADV_MERGEABLE to enable kernel
samepage merging for the ceph-osd? Typically this is used on kvm hosts
to dedupe the VM memories, but naively I was thinking that since our
osdmaps are duplicated (a few 100MB per daemon) we might profit as
well. Though, perhaps these maps are changing often enough that KSM
wouldn't help... no idea.

Any thoughts here?

-- Dan
CERN IT