Re: [ceph-users] Deprecating ext4 support

> On 12 Apr 2016, at 20:00, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016, Jan Schermer wrote:
>> I'd like to raise these points, then
>>
>> 1) some people (like me) will never ever use XFS if they have a choice
>> given no choice, we will not use something that depends on XFS
>>
>> 2) choice is always good
>
> Okay!
>
>> 3) doesn't majority of Ceph users only care about RBD?
>
> Probably that's true now.  We shouldn't recommend something that prevents
> them from adding RGW to an existing cluster in the future, though.
>
>> (Angry rant coming)
>> Even our last performance testing of Ceph (Infernalis) showed abysmal
>> performance. The most damning sign is the consumption of CPU time at
>> unprecedented rate. Was it faster than Dumpling? Slightly, but it ate
>> more CPU also, so in effect it was not really "faster".
>>
>> It would make *some* sense to only support ZFS or BTRFS because you can
>> offload things like clones/snapshots and consistency to the filesystem -
>> which would make the architecture much simpler and everything much
>> faster. Instead you insist on XFS and reimplement everything in
>> software. I always dismissed this because CPU time was ususally cheap,
>> but in practice it simply doesn't work. You duplicate things that
>> filesystems had solved for years now (namely crash consistency - though
>> we have seen that fail as well), instead of letting them do their work
>> and stripping the IO path to the bare necessity and letting someone
>> smarter and faster handle that.
>>
>> IMO, If Ceph was moving in the right direction there would be no
>> "supported filesystem" debate, instead we'd be free to choose whatever
>> is there that provides the guarantees we need from filesystem (which is
>> usually every filesystem in the kernel) and Ceph would simply distribute
>> our IO around with CRUSH.
>>
>> Right now CRUSH (and in effect what it allows us to do with data) is
>> _the_ reason people use Ceph, as there simply wasn't much else to use
>> for distributed storage. This isn't true anymore and the alternatives
>> are orders of magnitude faster and smaller.
>
> This touched on pretty much every reason why we are ditching file
> systems entirely and moving toward BlueStore.

Nooooooooooooooo!

> Local kernel file systems maintain their own internal consistency, but
> they only provide what consistency promises the POSIX interface
> does--which is almost nothing.

... which is exactly what everyone expects
... which is everything any app needs

>  That's why every complicated data
> structure (e.g., database) stored on a file system ever includes it's own
> journal.
... see?

>  In our case, what POSIX provides isn't enough.  We can't even
> update a file and it's xattr atomically, let alone the much more
> complicated transitions we need to do.
... have you thought that maybe xattrs weren't meant to be abused this way? Filesystems usually aren't designed to be a performant key=value stores.
btw at least i_version should be atomic?

And I still feel (ironically) that you don't understand what journals and commits/flushes are for if you make this argument...

Btw I think at least i_version xattr could be atomic.

>  We coudl "wing it" and hope for
> the best, then do an expensive crawl and rsync of data on recovery, but we
> chose very early on not to do that.  If you want a system that "just"
> layers over an existing filesystem, try you can try Gluster (although note
> that they have a different sort of pain with the ordering of xattr
> updates, and are moving toward a model that looks more like Ceph's backend
> in their next version).

True, which is why we dismissed it.

> Offloading stuff to the file system doesn't save you CPU--it just makes
> someone else responsible.  What does save you CPU is avoiding the
> complexity you don't need (i.e., half of what the kernel file system is
> doing, and everything we have to do to work around an ill-suited
> interface) and instead implement exactly the set of features that we need
> to get the job done.

In theory you are right.
In practice in-kernel filesystems are fast, and fuse filesystems are slow.
Ceph is like that - slow. And you want to be fast by writing more code :)

> FileStore is slow, mostly because of the above, but also because it is an
> old and not-very-enlightened design.  BlueStore is roughly 2x faster in
> early testing.
... which is still literally orders of magnitude slower than a filesystem.
I dug into bluestore and how you want to implement it, and from what I understood you are reimplementing what the filesystem journal does...
It makes sense it will be 2x faster if you avoid the double-journalling, but I'd be very much surprised if it helped with CPU usage one bit - I certainly don't see my filesystems consuming significant amount of CPU time on any of my machines, and I seriously doubt you're going to do that better, sorry.

> Finally, remember you *are* completely free to run Ceph on whatever file
> system you want--and many do.  We just aren't going to test them all for
> you and promise they will all work.  Remember that we have hit different
> bugs in every single one we've tried. It's not as simple as saying they
> just have to "provide the guarantees we need" given the complexity of the
> interface, and almost every time we've tried to use "supported" APIs that
> are remotely unusually (fallocate, zeroing extents... even xattrs) we've
> hit bugs or undocumented limits and idiosyncrasies on one fs or another.

This can be a valid point, those are features people either don't use, or use quite differently. But just because you can stress the filesystems until they break doesn't mean you should go write a new one. What makes you think you will do a better job than all the people who made xfs/ext4/...?

Anyway, I don't know how more to debunk the "insufficient guarantees in POSIX filesystem transactions" myth that you insist on fixing, so I guess I'll have to wait until you rewrite everything up to the drive firmware to appreciate it :)

Jan

P.S. A joke for you
How many syscalls does it take for Ceph to write "lightbulb" to the disk?
10 000
ha ha?