Re: The fundamental evil of "magic" in computing systems -> Was: mon daemon makes authentication side effects on startup

On 04/06/2016 03:23 AM, Owen Synge wrote:
Dear Greg and others,

Thankyou for your very helpful email, as it completely misses my point,
and that illustrate why this point is so important to be addressed.

I am sure Greg has a deep understanding of this area. But I am pleased
Greg missed my points from 0-9, Greg's assumption that it is lack of
understanding on my part (which I am sure is common), clearly
illustrates where this "magic" of the side effect of starting a mon
demon becomes becomes "dark magic".

If you object to "magic" and "dark magic" in this email please
substitute them with "side effect" and "negative consequences of side
effects" respectively, and you get a more serious reply :)

FWIW, I wanted to chime in and say that anything we can do to generally reduce instances of "dark magic" like this would be fantastic.

Back when mkcephfs was retired a couple of years ago I had to decide what I should replace it with in CBT. Ultimately it was concern over issues like this that lead me to utilize the underlying key/mon/osd creation tools directly. Your point about confusion is totally valid. I use ceph-authtool and had only a vague idea that ceph-create-keys even existed (and certainly didn't realize the behavior your describing). I create ceph clusters (using CBT) to test performance pretty much daily!

Looking at the documentation, it's pretty easy to miss what's going on:

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/man/8/ceph-create-keys/

ceph-authtool is a little better documented:

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/hammer/man/8/ceph-authtool/

It *is* scary when software behaves in mysterious ways. It doesn't invoke trust and it's not the kind of first impression to make with already paranoid sysadmins (Being a paranoid ex-sysadmin myself). I think our heart was in the right place to try to reduce the number of steps required in ceph-deploy, but it can't come at the expense of introducing ambiguity and complexity like this.

Anyway, that's my 2C.

Mark