Refuse OSD removal if still up or acting for PG

Hi,

This week I got a call to recover a Ceph cluster where somebody ran 'ceph osd rm X' for OSDs which were still holding PGs.

He removed multiple OSDs and together they were all the replicas forma certain PG.

This raised the question: Should we refuse a rm for a OSD which is still up or acting for a PG?

If not, what would the use-case be for removing a OSD from the OSDMap when it is still up or acting?

I would say that recovery/backfill has to be finished before we allow an OSD to be removed.

Wido