Re: Greetings Ceph Community : GSOC Queries

Hi Vineet,

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016, Vineet Purswani wrote:
> Greetings Ceph Community,
>
> My name is Vineet Purswani and I am a fourth year Computer Science
> MTech Integrated student at IIT Kanpur, India. I am interested in
> knowing more about a project listed on Ceph GSOC ideas page -
> Implement cache layer on top of userspace nvme driver

This project relates to using the new BlueStore OSD backend on NVMe
devices with the SPDK kernel-bypass library.  When we use the kernel
block device (with normal HDDs, SSDs, or even NVMe without the SPDK
driver) we can just do buffered reads and writes from the block device
(i.e., not use O_DIRECT) and the kernel will cache things for us.  SPDK
doesn't have a cache, though, and in a few places in BlueStore we reply
on that cache.

The goal of this project is to build a very efficient cache layer that we
can use in certain cases on top of the SPDK device.  The interface in
question is os/bluestore/BlockDevice.h (that's the abstract interface),
and the SPDK implementation of it is NVMEDevice.h.  For refernce the
KernelDevice.h is there too, although there isn't much to see there,
except that there are two read/write paths.. one that uses an O_DIRECT fd
with aio, and one that does normal buffered reads and writes.

There is a performance-tuned bit of caching code in the tree at
os/memstore/PageSet.h that might be a useful starting point, although it
almost certainly needs to be adapted to be useful here.

sage