Re: Criteria behind disk scrubbing policy

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Veronica Estrada Galinanes <veg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From ceph website: "Deep scrubbing (weekly) reads the data and uses
> checksums to ensure data integrity.”
>
> 1. Why do you use "weekly" deep scrubbing? How many times a year one disk
> is scrubbed on average in a Ceph cluster? Schwartz* used three times per
> year. “Interestingly, we did not observe a further decrease in data loss as
> we increased the scrubbing frequency from three to eleven times per year;
> rather, a slight increase in data loss was noticed. This phenomenon comes
> from the POH (power-on-hour) effect on drive reliability. Aggressive
> scrubbing requires more power cycles, adversely affecting drive reliability.
> "

Is power cycling relevant for modern enterprise drive? APM is disabled
by default on all recent drives I've used.

And their model is not realistic for Ceph: "We varied the access rate
between once per 102 hours (about 4 days) to once per 8103 hours."

With xfs/ext4 OSDs, if a random bit flip corrupts the master copy of
an object, Ceph will happily serve that corrupted data until deep
scrub notices the inconsistency between master and replicas.
For this reason alone I prefer to deep scrub as often as possible
(while keeping it transparent to the users).

> 2. Do you have different scrubbing policies according to the redundancy
> method? For example, more scrubs when using replication rather than erasure
> coding?

Scrubbing is configured with the parameters here:
   http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/osd-config-ref/#scrubbing

--
Dan