[GSoC2016] Interest in implementing RBD diff checksums

Hi everyone.

My name is Elie TOURNIER, I am a last year undergraduate student
enrolled in a 5 years Medical ICT course at Télécom Physiques
Strasbourg, France.
I came to know about the Ceph project and would like to contribute to
"RBD diff checksums subject" as a part of GSoC 2016.
I am fluent in C/C++ and know a bit about cryptography.

I have many ideas but I have some questions too.

So questions:
 1- Is this feature must be integrated to the Ceph code or must be a standalone?
 2- What is the maximum time allowed for the checksum?

My ideas:
 1- Use fast hash algorithm like xxHash [1] or Highwayhash [2] in
order to reduce computation time.
 2- Use the size of the file as a seed.

[1] https://github.com/Cyan4973/xxHash
[2] https://github.com/google/highwayhash

Thank you in advance for yours answers.

Regards,
Elie TOURNIER

PS: If you have any questions, remarks about me or my ideas for the
project, don't hesitate to contact me.