Ceph stable release team: call for participation

Hi Ceph,

TL;DR: If you have one day a week to work on the next Ceph stable releases [1] your help would be most welcome.

The Ceph "Long Term Stable" (LTS) releases - currently hammer[2] - are used by individuals, non-profits, government agencies and companies for their production Ceph clusters. They are also used when Ceph is integrated into larger products, such as hardware appliances. Ceph packages for a range of supported distribution are available at http://ceph.com/. Before the packages for a new stable release are published, they are carefully tested for potential regressions or upgrade problems. The Ceph project makes every effort to ensure the packages published at http://ceph.com/ can be used and upgraded in production.

The Stable release team[3] plays an essential role in the making of each Ceph stable release. In addition to maintaining an inventory of bugfixes that are in various stages of backporting[4], in most cases we do the actual backporting ourselves[5]. We also run integration tests involving hundreds of machines[6] and analyze the test results when they fail[7]. The developers of the bugfixes only hear from us when we're stuck or to make the final decision whether to merge a backport into the stable branch. Our process is well documented[8] and participating is a relaxing experience (IMHO ;-). Every month or so we have the satisfaction of seeing a new stable release published.

There are no pre-requistes to participate. Over time, it is an opportunity to learn how the code base is organized. When trying to figure out which commit does not cherry-pick cleanly, you will learn some of the logic of the Ceph internals. Last but not least, running the integration tests[6] and analyzing failures is a great way to know precisely what Ceph is capable of.

Nathan Cutler (SUSE) drives the next Hammer release[9] and Abhishek Varshney (Flipkart) drives the next Infernalis release[10]. Abhishek Lekshmanan (SUSE) helps on all releases and M Ranga Swami Reddy (Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd.) learns the workflow by helping with Hammer. Loic Dachary (Red Hat), one of the Ceph core developers, oversees the process and provides help and advice when necessary. After these two releases are published (which should happen in the next few weeks), the roles will change and we would like to invite you to participate. If you're employed by a company using Ceph or doing business with it, maybe your manager could agree to give back to the Ceph community in this way. You can join at any time and you will be mentored while the ongoing releases complete. When the time comes (and if you feel ready), you will be offered a seat to drive the next release.

Cheers

[1] Ceph Releases timeline http://ceph.com/docs/master/releases/
[2] Hammer v0.94.6 http://ceph.com/docs/master/release-notes/#v0-94-6-hammer
[3] Stable release team http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases