pg rebalancing after taking osds out

I have a replicated x2 pool with the crush step of host.
When the pool was created there were 3 hosts with 7 osds each,
and looking at the pg-by-pool for that pool I can see that
every pg has  copies on two different hosts.

Now I want to take 2 osds out of each node, which I did using
the osd out command. (So there are then 5 osds per host node).

Now I rerun ceph pg ls-by-pool for that pool and it shows that
some pgs have both their copies on the same node.

Is this normal?  My expectation was that each pg still
had its two copies on two different hosts.

-- Tom Deneau