Re: An Evaluation of Object Name Hashing

Hi!

Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2016, Marcel Lauhoff wrote:
>>
>> I wrote an article on my website with the analysis, changes to the
>> source and how I ran the tests:
>>
>>   http://irq0.org/articles/ceph/object_name_hashing
>
> The interesting thing to me is the error bars for linux prefix (the
> right-most set of bars on the last graph).  They range is significantly
> wider than rjenkins + prefix (ranging from 2.1TiB to 4.0TiB (vs 2.3-3.7ish
> for the others).  The reason we switched away from the linux dcache hash
> (it was the original choice) is because it is very weak.  I suspect that
> even if you look at the average + standard deviation it hides some of the
> badness; looking at 99th or 99.9th percentile, or simply a plot of the osd
> utilization distribution, will show that there are more low- and high-
> utilization outliers.

I rerun the tests and included Adler-32, CRC32, MD5 and SHA-1 (MD5 and
SHA-1 truncated to 32 bit). I updated the article.

In summary: Adler-32 does not work. MD5 and SHA-1 are OK. CRC32 as good
as RJenkins, maybe even slightly better.

~marcel

--
Marcel Lauhoff