Re: Improving Data-At-Rest encryption in Ceph

I agree with Lars's concerns: the main problems with the current dm-crypt
approach are that there isn't any key management integration yet and the
root volume and swap aren't encrypted. Those are easy to solve (and I'm
hoping we'll be able to address them in time for Jewel).

On the other hand, implementing encryption within RADOS will be complex,
and I don't see what the benefits are over whole-disk encryption.  Can
someone summarize what per-pool encryption keys and the ability to rotate
keys gives us?  If the threat is an attacker who is on the storage network
and has compromised an OSD the game is pretty much up...

At a high level, I think almost anything beyond at-rest encryption (that
is aimed at throwing out disks or physically walking a server out of the
data center) turns into a key management and threat mitigation design
nightmare (with few, if any, compelling solutions) until you give up and
have clients encrypt their data and don't trust the cluster with the keys
at all...

sage