Re: OSD public / cluster network isolation using VRF:s

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, Martin Millnert wrote:
> > Note that on a largish cluster the public/client traffic is all
> > north-south, while the backend traffic is also mostly north-south to the
> > top-of-rack and then east-west.  I.e., within the rack, almost everything
> > is north-south, and client and replication traffic don't look that
> > different.
>
> This problem domain is one of the larger challenges. I worry about
> network timeouts for critical cluster traffic in one of the clusters due
> to hosts having 2x1GbE. I.e. in our case I want to
> prioritize/guarantee/reserve a minimum amount of bandwidth for cluster
> health traffic primarily, and secondarily cluster replication. Client
> write replication should then be least prioritized.

One word of caution here: the health traffic should really be the
same path and class of service as the inter-osd traffic, or else it
will not identify failures.  e.g., if the health traffic is prioritized,
and lower-priority traffic is starved/dropped, we won't notice.

> To support this I need our network equipment to perform the CoS job, and
> in order to do that at some level in the stack I need to be able to
> classify traffic. And furthermore, I'd like to do this with as little
> added state as possible.

I seem to recall a conversation a year or so ago about tagging
stream/sockets so that the network layer could do this.  I don't think
we got anywhere, though...

sage