Re: OSD public / cluster network isolation using VRF:s

Wido,

thanks for your feedback.

On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 22:03 +0100, wido@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Op 3 dec. 2015 om 21:14 heeft Martin Millnert <martin@xxxxxxxxxxx> het volgende geschreven:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > we're deploying Ceph on Linux for multiple purposes.
> > We want to build network isolation in our L3 DC network using VRF:s.
<snip>
> Why all the trouble and complexity? I personally always try to avoid
> the two networks and run with one. Also in large L3 envs.
>
> I like the idea that one machine has one IP I have to monitor.
>
> I would rethink about what a cluster network really adds. Imho it only
> adds complexity.

There is one main reason behind separation,  i.e. using cluster network:
simple network level traffic classification.

We have machines where we need to be able to guarantee a minimum amount
of osd-osd replication traffic on the network links (CoS). And it seems
like "nice-to-have" feature in general.
An assumption here is that osd-osd "pinging" would happen on the cluster
network if configured.

A possible workaround I imagine would be if replication and osd-osd,
osd-mon traffic would receive different values in the ToS field than
client traffic. Not immediately obvious to me how one listening socket
would manage the distinction.

/Martin