Re: Compiling for FreeBSD

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1-12-2015 15:35, Sage Weil wrote:

>>> I was running that at the moment....
>>> Found the suggestion on the developers pages, in the manual section.
>>> Sort of hidden at the bottom. :)
>>>
>>> Did kill it in between, but now when I run it, it just only generates the
>>> report.
>>> So I just went make clean, which is rather too much...
>>> But could not really figure out the makefiles in test (yet)
>>>
>>> How do I reset the test results?
>>

>> I don't think there is anything to reset... just re-ru make check.  The
>> exception is probably just if you hit control-c but it left running
>> processes behind (./stop.sh should clean those up).
>>

> 'mmm,
> Strange I had it generate tests.... at one point.
> And now just plain nothing....
>
> Server has rebooted, so there should have nothing been left.
>
>> At least, that's the case on Linux.. maybe the (auto)tools are a bit
>> different on *BSD?
>

> I think in the short run it will not be the code that is going to be a
> major porting pain. But getting the run-time environment ironed out is
> just plain (hard) work. Things where /bin/sh expects certain bash-isms.
> Where paths have not been setup to the fullest all the way back into
> ./configure: like ${initrddir} => /etc/init.d versus /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
> Probably plenty more like these.
>
> I've also seen calls in the code to things like:
>         arch
>         hdparm
> things that just are not there in (basic) FreeBSD....
> But we'll get around al of that.
>
> I survived porting Unix tools (including UUCP) to Win95 and OS/2. So
> until we get to kernel things I just keep pushing along.
>
> Just for clarity:
> Gitbuilder just runs:
>         make check
> and collects the output?
> So that would be the way to tackle this, get complete (successful) output
> from:
>         gmake clean && gmake test
>

> --WjW

I did some work porting Ceph to FreeBSD, but got distracted and
stopped about two years ago.  You may find this port useful, though it
will probably need to be updated:

https://people.freebsd.org/~asomers/ports/net/ceph/

Also, there's one major outstanding issue that I know of.  It breaks
interoperability between FreeBSD and Linux Ceph nodes.  I posted a
patch to fix it, but it doesn't look like it's been merged yet.
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/6636

-Alan