Re: RFC: teuthology field in commit messages

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 9:25 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 29/11/2015 21:47, John Spray wrote:

>>> Indeed. But what is a branch if not the HEAD commit ?
>>
>> It's the HEAD commit, and its ancestors.  So in a typical PR (or
>> branch) there are several commits since the base (i.e. since master),
>> and perhaps only one of them has a test suite marked on it, or maybe
>> they have different test suites marked on different commits in the
>> branch.
>>
>> It's not necessarily a problem, just something that would need to have
>> a defined behaviour (maybe when testing a PR collect the "teuthology:"
>> tags from all commits in PR, and run all the suites mentioned?).
>
> That's an interesting idea :-) My understanding is that we currently test a PR by scheduling suites on its HEAD. But maybe you sometime schedule suites using a commit that's in the middle of a PR ?

I think I've made this too complicated...

What I meant was that while one would schedule suites against the HEAD
of the PR, that might not be the same commit that has the logical
testing information in.  For example, I might have main commit that
has the "Fixes: " and "teuthology: " tags, and then a second commit
(that would be HEAD) which e.g. tweaks a unit test.  It would be weird
if I had to put the teuthology: tag on the unit test commit rather
than the functional test, so I guess it would make sense to look at
the teuthology: tags from all the commits in a PR when scheduling it.

John