Re: RFC: teuthology field in commit messages

On 11/28/2015 03:56 PM, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi Ceph,
>
> An optional teuthology field could be added to a commit message like so:
>
> teuthology: --suite rbd
>
> to state that this commit should be tested with the rbd suite. It could be parsed by bots and humans.
>
> It would make it easy and cost effective to run partial teuthology suites automatically on pull requests.
>
> What do you think ?

Can't we use git-notes for that instead?

I think this pollutes the history a bit. Especially considering this
sort of metadata isn't necessarily specific to a given diff.

Also should be considered that this is a field that may make sense today
but may not make much sense in 10, 15 years. And while we have quite a
few special-purpose fields (e.g., Fixes, Backport), those are currently
pretty explanatory and I believe will be still easily understandable in
a decade's time.

In any case, if there's absolutely no other way to do this and the other
folk thinks it's important to have this, I will certainly not be the
party pooper ;)

  -Joao