Crc32 Challenge

Hello Ceph Devs,

I'm almost certain at this point that I have discovered a major bug in ceph's crc32c mechanism. http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/13713 I'm totally open to be proven wrong and that's what this email is about. Can someone out there write a piece of code using an outside library that produces the same crc32c checksums that Ceph does? If they can I'll close my bug and stand corrected :). I've tried 3 python libraries and 1 rust library so far and my conclusions are 1) they are all in agreement and 2) they all produce different checksums than ceph's checksums https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/83e10f7e2df0a71bd59e6ef2aa06b52b186fddaa/src/test/common/test_crc32c.cc#L21

Start small and see if you can verify the "foo bar baz" checksum and then try some of the others.

The implications of this are unfortunately tricky. If I'm right and we fix ceph's algorithm then it won't be able to talk to any previous version of ceph past the beginning protocol handshake. There would have to be a mechanism introduced so that any x and older version would speak the previous crc and anything y and newer would speak the new version. Another option is we could break ceph's crc code out into a library and make that available to everyone and call it ceph-crc32c.

Thanks!
Chris