Re: Signed-off-by and aliases

Hi Alex,

On 17/08/2015 22:19, Alex Elsayed wrote:
> Loic Dachary wrote:
>
>> Hi Joao,
> <snipping quite a bit>
>
>> It is quite impossible for us (non lawyers) to draw the line that
>> separates paranoïa and common sense. Reason why most discussions on these
>> topics turn short. I cannot dismiss the scenario you describe and I'm
>> quite sure asking a lawyer would not clarify anything. Mostly because
>> whatever the question, the lawyer answer will always be : "maybe" and
>> never "yes" or "no" ;-)

That reminds me of an amusing talk in the FOSDEM legal track a few years back, specifically on that topic :-)

<snip>--<snip>

>> So, how can one make an opinion on a topic (s)he does not fully understand
>> ? I chose to decide based on facts I have and favor what give us (the Ceph
>> project community) more flexibility. I don't think anyone has any fact
>> regarding legal troubles related to contributor using aliases. And since
>> we don't verify contributor backgrounds anyway, acknowledging that we
>> already accept aliases makes sense to me.
>
> This is where I see a subtle, but meaningful distinction: Accepting from
> aliases *which have submitted a DCO* means that the person behind the alias,
> even if we don't know their name, has bound themselves to a standard ov
> behavior.
>
> Accepting from arbitrary aliases does _not_ carry that meaning.

Yes. Although we don't do formal background checks, we make sure that each commit is Signed-off-by: the author as required by https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/SubmittingPatches#L22 which is linked from the https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst document that shows whenever someone submits a pull request.

I also believe this is an important distinction and I would feel uncomfortable if Ceph accepted contributions (aliases or not) that are not Signed-off one way or the other.

Cheers