Re: vstart runner for cephfs tests

On 23/07/15 12:23, Loic Dachary wrote:
You may be interested by

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/test/ceph-disk-root.sh

which is conditionally included

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/test/Makefile.am#L86

by --enable-root-make-check

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/configure.ac#L414

If you're reckless and trust the tests not to break (a crazy proposition by definition IMHO ;-), you can

make TESTS=test/ceph-disk-root.sh check

If you want protection, you do the same in a docker container with

test/docker-test.sh --os-type centos --os-version 7 --dev make TESTS=test/ceph-disk-root.sh check

I tried various strategies to make tests requiring root access more accessible and less scary and that's the best compromise I found. test/docker-test.sh is what the make check bot uses.

Interesting, I didn't realise we already had root-ish tests in there.

At some stage the need for root may go away in ceph-fuse, as in principle fuse mount/unmounts shouldn't require root. If not then putting an outer docker wrapper around this could make sense, if we publish the built binaries into the docker container via a volume or somesuch. I am behind on familiarizing myself with the dockerised tests.

When a test can be used both from sources and from teuthology, I found it more convenient to have it in the qa/workunits directory which is available in both environments. Who knows, maybe you will want a vstart based cephfs test to run as part of make check, in the same way

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/test/cephtool-test-mds.sh

does.

Yes, this crossed my mind. At the moment, even many of the "quick" tests/cephfs tests take tens of seconds, so they are probably a bit too big to go in a default make check, but for some of the really simple things that are currently done in cephtool/test.sh, I would be temped to move them into the python world to make them a bit less fiddly.

The test location is a bit challenging, because we essentially have two not-completely-stable interfaces here, vstart and teuthology. Because teuthology is the more complicated, for the moment it makes sense for the tests to live in that git repo. Long term it would be nice if fine-grained functional tests lived in the same git repo as the code they're testing, but I don't really have a plan for that right now outside of the probably-too-radical step of merging ceph-qa-suite into the ceph repo.

John