CRC32 of messages

All,
Can someone explain to me the rationale for performing in-software CRC32
hashes of all messages through the Pipe and AsyncMessage classes?

On my servers, operf shows that 20% of the total CPU time in my benchmark
tests are being spent in the librados ceph_crc32c_sctp function. I can see
that the library is trying to use CPU accelerations if available, but what
I'd like to understand is: why checksum the messages at all?

If the messages are local, there should not be any corruption at all, and
if they are coming in over IP, then the kernel and NIC should do Layer-2/3
CRCs and reject any corrupted packets. So why re-CRC the messages at the
Ceph layer?

Thanks,
  Erik Burrows