Re: Duplicate bucket creation Response in RGW

Hi Yehuda,

Following were my findings after I have created two buckets
"my-bucket-test-in-main" in US-Standard and "my-bucket-test-in-eu" in
EU region.

1. AWS throws 409 conflict with error code "BucketAlreadyOwnedByYou"
when I try to recreate either of the two buckets in EU region.

2. Throws 200 OK for "my-bucket-test-in-main" and 409 Conflict for
"my-bucket-test-in-EU" when I try to recreate the buckets in
US-Standard region.

So we can say that except the US-Standard region,  in all the other
regions, it throws 409 whenever you try to recreate a bucket . Thus
US-Standard region is a special case.

Similar observations can be seen for Bucket name Restrictions, where
it is far more relaxed in US-Standard region. I was able to create
names as "test_.._main-by-me", in US-Standard region, which is clearly
non DNS-compliant and which AWS discourages, according to their bucket
names page.

So I think that we can try to implement these according to what AWS is
following for the non-standard regions. Similarly I am planning to do
the same for bucket name restrictions so that they are more
DNS-compliant and similar to what AWS follows in other regions.

Please let me know your opinion. I am referring from following pages
in AWS documentation:

1. http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/BucketRestrictions.html
2. http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/API/ErrorResponses.html

Thanks,
Harshal

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 11:38 PM, Yehuda Sadeh-Weinraub
<yehuda@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> iirc we return 409 in case you're trying to recreate the bucket in a different region. I don't see why we should return it if the user tries to create it in the same region it exists in. Amazon does not return 409 if a bucket is recreated on their main region (where it already exists), so I'm not sure why there should be an inconsistency when dealing with other regions.
>
> Yehuda

HARSHAL GUPTA
Software Engineer
KIWI Inc.