Re: Interested in ceph OSD encryption and key management

Hi Andrew,

I'm copying Milan Broz, who has looked at this ome. There was some
subsequent off-list discussion in Red Hat about using Petera[1] for the
key management, but this'll require a bit more effort than what was
described in that blueprint.

On Thu, 28 May 2015, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> David Disseldorp was good enough to point me at this proposal for ceph
> OSD key management:
> https://wiki.ceph.com/Planning/Blueprints/Infernalis/osd%3A_simple_ceph-mon_dm-crypt_key_management
>
> I'm really interested in improving ceph on-disk encryption, and am
> really glad folks are taking this beyond the local key storage we have
> managed so far.
>
> So I can be part of the discussion, how do I get a login to the wiki?  I
> would like to indicate my interest there.

The wiki logins are broken, but ignore that.. we're moving to
tracker.ceph.com's wiki shortly anyway.  Email is best in the meantime!

> Regarding the proposal:
>
> In the default mode suggested in the wiki, my primary concern is that
> I'm told, in a number of deployments, the monitor node is the same
> server that also holds the OSDs, so we don't gain anything for those
> cases over the /etc storage.
>
> In those cases, the hooks suggested in the wiki will be key, as will be
> having those configurable in ceph.conf, so ceph-deploy can just pass it
> down to all the nodes as they are built, just as the other dmcrypt
> options are.
>
> I would like to see three things hookable:
>  - the command to obtain the key (on stdout)

- a command to publish/store a new key (from ceph-disk create)

>  - to encrypt the key (so we can additionally pass it
> via gpg, a HSM or remote encrypt/decrypt service)
>  - to decrypt the key

Not quite sure what you have in mind here?

I think the key things I'd like to see in any effort here is

 1- keep the actual decryption key in LUKS and store the LUKS key in the
key escrow location.  The original dm-crypt stuff kept the actual key
in /etc/ceph/keys, but that makes it hard to track key provenance, and
also fixes the encryption algorithm... LUKS is more robust.

 2- make the key management pluggable, so that we can use petera,
/etc/ceph/keys, the ceph mons, or something else.

Thanks!
sage

[1] https://github.com/npmccallum/petera