Re: cephfs task: Extend file layout ceph_file_layout to specify a namespace id

On Tue, 12 May 2015, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Goldwyn Rodrigues <rgoldwyn@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The task mentioned in $SUBJECT is a part of the multi-tenancy cephfs
> > project. Has someone taken the task as yet? If not, I am interested in
> > working on the task.
>
> We've got a few GSoC students who will be working on multi-tenancy
> issues and we'd expected this to be one of the things they do, but I
> don't think any work has started on it yet so if you wanted to claim
> that feature it should be all good.

Yep!

Ping any of us on IRC or over email if you have any questions.  We've
talked a bit about this and one thing we've mostly settled on is that we
want to allow namespaces that are strings, not just ints.  (RADOS allows
this, and it'll make this more usable.. e.g., you could use a username or
uuid as the namespace).  This will be more work because we need to move
from struct ceph_file_layout to a file_layout_t that uses the modern
versioning encode/decode infrastructure, and that transition will be a bit
tricky.

Happy to do a video call or irc chat to discuss how to proceed when you
have a chance!

sage