Re: Proposal for a Backport tracker

On Thu, 21 May 2015, Loic Dachary wrote:

> On 21/05/2015 14:41, Nathan Cutler wrote:
> >> * a backport issue is created in the "Backport" tracker and is
> >> "Related" to the original issue
> >
> > Hi Loic:
> >
> > I like the idea of having backport tickets in a separate Redmine
> > subproject/issue tracker.
>
> It would just be in a separate tracker, in the same project.
>
> > In fact, I would go even a step further and
> > have separate subprojects for each target version (hammer backports,
> > firefly backports).
>
> Separating them in a different project / subproject would create
> problems because redmine has ways to partition the subprojects that make
> some things difficult. For instance not all issues can be "Related" to
> issues in other projects which is kind of annoying. My general
> impression with redmine subprojects is that they tend to complexify and
> obscure the process rather than help. Or maybe it's just that my redmine
> skills are not what they should be. Do you have a different experience ?

I agree.  Adding subprojects clutters up the project list, and a separate
tracker captures this perfectly.  It also means you can rank by priority
issues and see both bugs and backprots together (if you like).  And I
think (?) the related issue only works within the same project (that is
at least true with the 'duplicate' relationship).

Loic, I think this is a great idea (provided the bot does all the issue
creation).  +1!

sage