Re: firewall questions

On Wed, 20 May 2015, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> It would be really convenient to have human-readable firewalld service
> definitions for Ceph, so that users could do things like:
>
>   firewall-cmd --add-service=ceph-mon
>
> or
>
>   firewall-cmd --add-service=ceph
>
> ... instead of having to know specific port numbers to open.
>
> In order to submit service definitions to firewalld upstream, I had a
> couples questions:
>
> 1. In April there was a mailing list thread about the IANA #821110
> ticket Sage filed for ceph-mon. Did anything come of that? I filed
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11689 to track this in Redmine.

Not yet.  Was waiting for someone to suggest a port they liked off
the free list and then got distracted.

Either way, though, we should make an interim rule on the current ports
since the transition will take a while.

> 2. I talked recently with Sam about the possible ports an OSD could use,
> and our conversation made me think that our firewall docs for OSDs and
> MDSs might need to be updated: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/11688
>
> Currently the docs say "calculate the number of OSDs or MDSs you're
> running and that will tell you what ports to open". That makes it hard
> to write a service definition for firewalld, since those are just a list
> of static ports.

Yeah, I'm afraid it should just be teh full range we allow... I think
6800-7100 by default?

> 3. Lastly, on a scale of "yeah, sounds do-able" to "everything will come
> to a grinding halt", how hard would it be to run with firewalls enabled
> in our sepia and typica labs that are running Teuthology? :) Do our
> Teuthology tests use TCP ports outside of 80, 6789, and 6800-7300 ?

Civetweb binds to 7280 (?) by default, but I don't think we use it on that
port in teuthology.  Soo... I think it'll work!