Re: Request for static uid/gid for ceph

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 07:10:16PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Ceph is currently developing unprivileged user support, and the upstream
> developers are asking each of the distros to allocate a static numerical
> UID for the "ceph" user and group.
>
> The reason for the static number is to allow Ceph users to hot-swap hard
> drives from one OSD server to another. Currently this practice works
> because Ceph writes its files as "uid 0", but when Ceph starts writing
> its files as an unprivileged user, it will be nice to allow
> administrators to unplug a drive and plug it into another computer and
> everything to just work.
>
> For this I'm requesting an uid and gid from the reserved range
> 60000-64999 according to the process outlined in
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/cjwatson/base-passwd.git/tree/README.

Sorry for the delay.  This seems entirely reasonable; I've allocated
uid/gid 64045, which you'll now find in the git tree above.  I haven't
uploaded base-passwd with this yet, but you can go ahead and make use of
this immediately in Debian/Ubuntu without needing to wait for an upload.

Regards,

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]