From: "Loic Dachary" <loic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Yuri Weinstein" <yweinste@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ceph Development" <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 9, 2015 2:31:03 AM
Subject: Analyzing the nightlies

Hi Yuri,

It would be useful to add more information bout how the nightlies are analyzed at

   http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO_monitor_the_automated_tests_AKA_nightlies

At this point my understanding is that you look over all of them and you carry the burden of

* sorting out the environmental noise
* creating new bugs for errors for which there is no match in the tracker
* add a link to the failed job in pre-existing issues found in the tracker (useful to figure out the frequency and helps with debug when there are multiple outputs / logs)

You do so by using tools such as https://github.com/jcsp/scrape/blob/master/scrape.py and maybe others and you also format your mail messages so that they can be parsed by a program (although such a program does not exist yet, it could go over all your messages and build a database from the mails you sent).

In the http://lists.ceph.com/private.cgi/ceph-qa-ceph.com/ archives, I see that Greg also regularly goes over the errors and other developers also do. What I'm not sure about is if it's best effort ? Is there a time like bug scrubbing or sprint planning when developers say "Let's analyze QA results and dig bugs" ?

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre