Re: running daemons as user/group ceph

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> Oh, my bad, sorry I missed that part of the pull request! Looks good to me.

Still missing ceph.spec file changes, if you're up for it.  :)

I'm working on the chown piece, but I'm not sure what to do about the
journal device (if it is a device).  We can either

 - add ceph to the 'disk' group.  This means it can scribble on any device
in the system, which seems less than ideal.

 - chown the journal device to ceph when the daemon is started.  This
means the user can only scribble on other ceph devices, which seems about
right.  But I'm not sure what the implications of chowning random devices
like /dev/sdc2 to ceph are.

 - do something tricky where we open the block device on startup before
doing the setuid, and reuse that file handle later.  This likely screws up
all kinds layering because we want the privs to drop very eary (before we
start opening log files, for example) and only the journal code knows what
mode to open the file as.  Any solution here will be kind of kludgey, I
think.

?

sage