Re: [Ceph-maintainers] running daemons as user/group ceph

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, Sage Weil wrote:
> > > -- systemd --
> > >
> > > Most of the daemons can just get the User=ceph and Group=cpeh lines in the
> > > unit files.  The OSD is tricky, though, since we want the prestart script
> > > to run as root so that it can chown the disk contents if necessary.  We
> > > have two options, I think:
> > >
> > > 1) run prestart and ceph-osd as root, and add a ceph daemon arg to drop
> > > privileges and setuid.
> > >
> > > 2) add a sudo rule so that the ceph user can run the chown command from
> > > prestart.  (This seems more dangerous.)
> >
> > I agree sudo sounds more dangerous, and it'll also be more complex to
> > implement in the packaging.
> >
> > Would it be possible to use Apache's model, where it does the bare
> > minimum set of things it needs as root (binding to port 80, etc), and
> > then drops privileges thereafter?
> >
> > If the OSD had this ability built-in, then it could run in minimal
> > environments like containers where sudo is not present, etc.
>
> Yeah. And in this case, it's only the ceph-osd-prestart.sh script (run by
> systemd) that needs root; the ceph-osd can drop privileges immediately
> upon starting.

Pushed a patch that lets daemons drop privs (setuid and setgid) and
updated the ceph-osd unit file accordingly.

Also added a /etc/security/limits.d/ceph file so that we can set the
nofile ulimit in one place where people expect it and not in our configs
or the systemd/upstart configs.

sage