Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: NewStore performance analysis

On 04/21/2015 06:57 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Chen, Xiaoxi wrote:
---- Sage Weil?? ----

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Chen, Xiaoxi wrote:
Haomai is right in theory, but I am not sure whether all
user(mon,filestore,kvstore) of submit_transaction API clearly holding
the expectation that their data is not persistent and may lost in
failure.  So in rocksdb now the sync is default to true even in
submit_transaction(and this option make the two api exactly the same).
Maybe we need to rename the api to
submit_transaction_persistent/nonpersistent to better discribe the
behavior?

Let's audit them, then.. I think they are right, but we may as well
confirm!

Again, FileStore is the odd one out here because it is relying on the
syncfs(2) at commit time for everything.

Yes, so maybe we dont need to expose the option to user, we can decide
whether to.sync in code logic.

Yeah, I think it'll reduce confusion too.  I suggest we do a pull request
against master that does this... let me know if you want to do it,
otherwise I will!

I remember some folks in out team tried to move KVDB to a partition on
SSD while leave other filestore data on HDD, in my memory it benifit
performance.  This deployment is problematic with kv_sync=false.  gWill
check the data first and then we can evaluate whethe we want to support
this kind of deployment.

We could detect this by doing a stat(2) on the current/omap/ vs current/
dirs and checking if it's a different file system.  If so, we can do the
syncfs(2) on both dirs.  The btrfs case would probably not be practical,
but we can error out in that case.  But yeah not sure how important it
would be to support this since filestore doesn't use leveldb that
heavily... and I'd prefer to limit our investment of time there if we can
instead make newstore (or something else) better.

FWIW, the last time I tried putting leveldb on SSD didn't really help at all. It's been a while so maybe that's changed, but newstore definitely seems like the way forward to me.

Mark