Re: Regarding newstore performance

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This all suggests that getting rocksdb to not rewrite the wal
> > entries at all will be the big win.  I think Xiaoxi had tunable
> > suggestions for that?  I didn't grok the rocksdb terms immediately so
> > they didn't make a lot of sense at the time.. this is probably a good
> > place to focus, though.  The rocksdb compaction stats should help out
> > there.
> >
> > But... today I ignored this entirely and put rocksdb in tmpfs and focused
> > just on the actual wal IOs done to the fragments files after the fact.
> > For simplicity I focused just on 128k random writes into 4mb objects.
> >
> > fio can get ~18 mb/sec on my disk with iodepth=1.  Interestingly, setting
> > iodepth=16 makes no different *until* I also set thinktime=10 (us, or
> > almost any value really) and thinktime_blocks=16, at which point it goes
> > up with the iodepth.  I'm not quite sure what is going on there but it
> > seems to be preventing the elevator and/or disk from reordering writes and
> > make more efficient sweeps across the disk.  In any case, though, with
> > that tweaked I can get up to ~30mb/sec with qd 16, ~40mb/sec with qd 64.
> > Similarly, with qa 1 and thinktime of 250us, it drops to like 15mb/sec,
> > which is basically what I was getting from newstore.  Here's my fio
> > config:
> >
> >         http://fpaste.org/212110/42923089/
> >
> > Conclusion: we need multiple threads (or libaio) to get lots of IOs in
> > flight so that the block layer and/or disk can reorder and be efficient.
> > I added a threadpool for doing wal work (newstore wal threads = 8 by
> > default) and it makes a big difference.  Now I am getting more like
> > 19mb/sec w/ 4 threads and client (smalliobench) qd 16.  It's not going up
> > much from there as I scale threads or qd, strangely; not sure why yet.
> >
> > But... that's a big improvement over a few days ago (~8mb/sec).  And on
> > this drive filestore with journal on ssd gets ~8.5mb/sec.  So we're
> > winning, yay!
> >
> > I tabled the libaio patch for now since it was getting spurious EINVAL and
> > would consistently SIGBUG from io_getevents() when ceph-osd did dlopen()
> > on the rados plugins (weird!).
> >
> > Mark, at this point it is probably worth checking that you can reproduce
> > these results?  If so, we can redo the io size sweep.  I picked 8 wal
> > threads since that was enough to help and going higher didn't seem to make
> > much difference, but at some point we'll want to be more careful about
> > picking that number.  We could also use libaio here, but I'm not sure it's
> > worth it.  And this approach is somewhat orthogonal to the idea of
> > efficiently passing the kernel things to fdatasync.
>
> Adding another thread switch to the IO path is going to make us very
> sad in the future, so I think this'd be a bad prototype version to
> have escape into the wild. I keep hearing Sam's talk about needing to
> [...]

Yeah, for fast memory we'll want to take a totally different synchronous
path through the code.  Right now I'm targetting general purpose (spinning
disk and current-generation SSDs) usage (and this is the async post-commit
cleanup work).

But yeah... I'll bite the bullet and do aio soon.  I suspect I just
screwed up the buffer alignment and that's where EINVAL was coming from
before.

sage