Re: proposal to stop using "backport: " in commit logs

On 13/04/2015 20:53, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Loic Dachary <loic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Greg,

>>> Why don't we just treat the backport commit tag as an expected value,
>>> and any corresponding redmine data as the canonical one?
>>
>> That's what we currently do, I think.
>>
>>> I find the
>>> backport tags to be useful when reviewing commits and I think the
>>> authorial intention matters.
>>
>> A git-notes could be added for that purpose instead.
>
> Huh, I'm not previously familiar with that mechanism. Is there any
> particular reason you didn't use that for tracking backport states to
> begin with? It looks like it's sort of designed for this purpose.

My thoughts exactly. But I figure that out only recently. The cross referencing script  which currently creates a web page should be changed to update / verify git notes in a namespace dedicated to backporting, in a json format that is rigid and meant to be consistent and reliable. And the web page should be a display of these git notes instead of what it currently is. The default git notes name space could be used by developers to store human edited notes about commits such as the Backport field etc. because there is value in loosely maintained information.

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre