RFC: progress bars

Hi all,

[this is a re-send of a mail from yesterday that didn't make it, probably due to an attachment]

It has always annoyed me that we don't provide a simple progress bar indicator for things like the migration of data from an OSD when it's marked out, the rebalance that happens when we add a new OSD, or scrubbing the PGs on an OSD.

I've experimented a bit with adding user-visible progress bars for some of the simple cases (screenshot at http://imgur.com/OaifxMf). The code is here: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/wip-progress-events/src/mon/ProgressEvent.cc

This is based on a series of "ProgressEvent" classes that are instantiated when certain things happen, like marking and OSD in or out. They provide an init() hook that captures whatever state is needed at the start of the operation (generally noting which PGs are affected) and a tick() hook that checks whether the affected PGs have reached their final state.

Clearly, while this is simple for the simple cases, there are lots of instances where things will overlap: a PG can get moved again while it's being backfilled following a particular OSD going out. These progress indicators don't have to capture that complexity, but the goal would be to make sure they did complete eventually rather than getting stuck/confused in those cases.

This is just a rough cut to play with the idea, there's no persistence of the ProgressEvents, and the init/tick() methods are peppered with correctness issues. Still, it gives a flavour of how we could add something friendlier like this to expose simplified progress indicators.

Ideas for further work:
* Add in an MDS handler to capture the progress of an MDS rank as it goes through replay/reconnect/clientreplay * A handler for overall cluster restart, that noticed when the mon quorum was established and all the map timestamps were some time in the past, and then generated progress based on OSDs coming up and PGs peering.
 * Simple: a handler for PG creation after pool creation
 * Generate estimated completion times from the rate of progress so far
* Friendlier PGMap output, by hiding all PG states that are explained by an ongoing ProgressEvent, to only indicate low level PG status for things that the ProgressEvents don't understand.

Cheers,
John