Re: Script to extract backports log

Hi Alistair,

On 29/03/2015 19:27, Alistair Israel wrote:
> Hi, Loïc.
>
> Well, got some 'quality' coding time in over the weekend and managed
> to hack this out:
> https://gist.github.com/aisrael/b2b78d9dfdd176a232b9
>
> You'll need GitPython (pip install gitpython). I managed to get
> hyperlinks to issues, to the commits themselves, and even snuck in the
> names of the people who've signed off on the commit.

It's going to be helpful to start with the release notes but it will need manual editing.

> What I can't figure out is how to get the simple component or module
> name. For example, from how to get from "common/buffer.cc" (#6003) to
> "buffer".

I don't think it can be done automatically.

> Also, using a related issue and commit, how to combine two related
> ones. For example, #6614 is related to #6003, and in the release notes
> both are listed as a single item.

One idea would be to group commits that are in the same branch together ? When a merge is found, git log xxx^1..xxx^2 will list the commits that belong to the branch that has been merged. All commits in this branch presumably relate to the same topic.

> Finally, do you think I should exclude commits starting with "qa:" or

Yes, they are not relevant ;-)

I included your snippet in the HOWTO write the release notes at http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO_write_the_release_notes which is linked from http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph-releases/wiki/HOWTO.

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre