Re: regenerating man pages

sorry for resending this mail. i sent it using multipart encoding and
got rejected by the mail server.

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 at 03:47 Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 2015, Josh Durgin wrote:
> > On 03/17/2015 12:32 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> > > Yeah. If this has gotten easier it's fine, but asphyxiate required a
> > > *lot* of tooling that I'd rather we not require as developer build
> > > deps. I'd imagine we can just produce them as part of the Jenkins
> > > build procedure or something?
> >
> > None of that is needed for man pages or developer builds. asphyxiate is
> > just for getting doxygen into the docs. The man pages are generated with
> > plain sphinx, and do not need to be part of developer builds. Only
> > package builds need to generate them.
>
> Note that in practice devs will run install-deps.sh, which greps the
> Build-depends out of the spec or debian/control file, so they'll probably
> end up installing sphinx.  If it's just that I don't think it'll cause
> problems though!

i failed to find sphinx in ceph.spec.in or debian/control. so we might
want to add it? if we expect the packager to generate the man pages,
maybe we should put it into the Build-Depends. and blacklist it in the
install-deps.sh?

> sage
>

> > Josh

yeah. to move the generated artifacts out of the git repo, and to
maintain man pages, probably we can

1. extract the man page rendering out of build-doc,
2. and make it a configurable option in configure.ac. so developer
builds are not impacted.
3. enable it in the ceph.spec.in and debian/rules, so the packager
won't miss the man pages.

if we are good with this proposal, i will send a PR later on.

for embedding doxygen docs in sphinx, and avoiding extra maintenance
overhead to dodge the unsupported sections issues (e.g.
https://github.com/ceph/asphyxiate/issues)  :

1. let's switch to breathe (see the discussion in
https://github.com/ceph/asphyxiate/pull/2). i checked the generated
doc at rados/api/librados/index.html, it looks good.
2. et voilà !

i am sending a pull request for the breathe changes:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/4058 .

Regards
Kefu Chai