Re: librados2 and librbd1 dependency on libvirt-bin

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Somnath Roy wrote:
> Hi,
> We are facing problem that ceph-deploy purge is uninstalling latest Mellanox ofed driver packages.
> Digging down more we found libvirt-bin is dependent on librados2/librbd1.
> So, here is what happening.
>
> 1. Mellanox ofed driver has a dependency on the libvirt-bin*
>
> 2. purging librados2/librbd1 is removing libvirt-bin and resulting the removal of the Mellanox driver package as well.
>
> Here is what I found.
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/devel/libvirt-bin
>
> ubuntu@ip-10-15-16-211:~$ apt-cache rdepends librados2
> [...]

The problem is that libvirt (and probably qemu) are built against librbd1.
If you remove librbd1, those get removed too.

> So, I am curious why libvirt-bin has a depencey on librados2/librbd1 ?

qemu needs it for obvious reasons.  libvirt needs it to manage it's
(rbd) storage pools.

> Also, how come we get rid of this issue ?
> Ceph-deploy should not remove any package other than ceph's.

Purge could skip the libraries that may have other dependencies, but then
it's a purge-lite.  Honestly I thought it skipped them for that reason but
we probably changed it at some point because it (also confusingly)
wouldn't remove librados etc...

sage