From: Sage Weil [mailto:sweil@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 1:28 PM
To: Somnath Roy
Cc: Samuel Just (sam.just@xxxxxxxxxxx); Ceph Development
Subject: RE: Recovery question

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015, Somnath Roy wrote:
> Thanks Sage !
>
> Sorry, some more question :-)
>
> 1. When the pg map is 3.5 -> [2,3] (osd.1 is down) , will the IO be
> blocked on this pg still 3.5 -> [2,3,4] ?

If min_size <= 2 (default is 2), then no.  We'll serve reads and writes with just [2,3] and the pg will show up as 'degraded'.

> 2. what if OSD 1 came up after OSD 4 backfill is complete and the pg
> map is 3.5 -> [2,3,4] ? All recovery done and pgs are in active +
> clean state. Will the map again change to 3.5 -> [1,2,3] ? IMO, this
> should not be as it will unnecessarily generate some traffic, isn't it ?

If we had say

 4: [2,3,4]

then we'll get

 5: [1,2,3]

osd will realize osd.1 cannot log recovery and will install a pg_temp so that

 6: [2,3,4]

and PG will go active (serve IO).  when backfill completes, it will remove the pg_temp and

 7: [1,2,3]

> 3. Will the flow be similar if one of the replica OSD goes down
> instead of primary in the step '2' I mentioned earlier ?  Say, osd.2
> went down instead of osd.1 ?

Yeah, basically the same.  Who is primary doesn't really matter.

sage