From: ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sage Weil
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 10:24 AM
To: Blinick, Stephen L
Cc: andreas.bluemle@xxxxxxxxxxx; ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: wip-auth

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Blinick, Stephen L wrote:
> I noticed that the spec file for building RPM's defaults to building with libnss, instead of libcrypto++.  Since the measurements I'd done so far were from those RPM's I rebuilt with libcrypto++.. so FWIW here is the difference between those two on my system, memstore backend with a single OSD, and single client.
>
> Dual socket Xeon E5 2620v3, 64GB Memory,  RHEL7
> Kernel: 3.10.0-123.13.2.el7
>
> 100% 4K Writes, 1xOSD w/ Rados Bench
> 	libnss		            |    Cryptopp
> # QD	IOPS	Latency(ms)   |	IOPS	Latency(ms)	IOPS Improvement %
> 16	14432.57	1.11    |	18896.60	0.85	30.93%
>
> 100% 4K Reads, 1xOSD w/ Rados Bench
> 	libnss | Cryptopp # QD IOPS Latency(ms)  | IOPS Latency(ms) IOPS
> Improvement % 16 19532.53 0.82 | 25708.70 0.62 31.62%

Yikes, 30%!  I think this definitely worth some effort.  We switched to libnss because it has the weird government certfiications that everyone wants and is more prevalent.  crypto++ is also not packaged for Red Hat distros at all (presumably for that reason).

I suspect that most of the overhead is in the encryption context setup and can be avoided with a bit of effort..

sage