Re: Memstore performance improvements v0.90 vs v0.87

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Andreas Bluemle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I went from using v0.88 to v0.90 and can confirm the
> that performance is similar between these two versions.
>
> I am using config settings similar to the values given by
> Somnath.
>
> There is one difference in my settings: where Somanth has disabled
> message throttling both for the number of messages and the amount
> of message data, I am using the settiings:
>
>   "osd_client_message_size_cap": "524288000"   (default)
>   "osd_client_message_cap": "3000"             (default is 100)
>
> With my test profile (small, i.e. 4k, random writes), the message
> size throttle is no problem - but the message count throttle
> is worth to look at:
>
> with my test profile I hit this throttle - but this seems to depend
> on the number of placement groups (or the distribution achieved
> by different placement group set).
>
> I have configured my cluster (3 nodes, 12 osds) with 3 rbd pools:
>    rbd with 768 pgs (default)
>    rbd2 with 3000 pgs
>    rbd3 with 769 pgs
>
> I don't see any hits of message count throttle on rbd2 and rbd3 - but
> on rbd, I see the message throttle hits about 3.750 times during a
> test with a total of 262.144 client write request within a period
> of approx. 35 seconds. All of the hits of the message count throttle
> happen on a single osd; there is no hit of the message count throttle
> on any of the other 11 osds.

The difference between rbd and rbd3 is pretty surprising.. it makes me
think that the rbd distribution is just a bit unlucky.  Can you try this?

 ceph osd reweight-by-pg 110

or possibly 105 and see if that changes things?

> Sage: yesterday, you had been asking for a value of the message
> count throttle where my tests start to run smoothly - and I can't
> give an answer. It depends on the distribution of I/O requests
> achieved by the specific set of pg's - and vice versa, a different
> pattern of I/O requests will change the behavior again.

Understood.  This is actually good news, I think.. it's not the throttle
itself that's problematic but that the rbd distrbution is too inbalanced.

Thanks!
sage