Re: /usr/bin/cephfs tool

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2015, Gregory Farnum wrote:

>> > Actually, I think Andreas's librados stuff he's working on may be the
>> > right path... it'll expose general information about object -> pg ->
>> > osd mappings.  Then a simple script could take the ino + file size, turn
>> > it into object names, and use that.
>> >
>> > In any case, I don't mind nuking this and waiting for a complaint before
>> > investing in replacing that bit of functionality since it's such a small
>> > thing...
>>
>> Yeah, that's fine with me, but I'd like some idea of how we'd suggest
>> any users who complain do the implementation so we can point them at a
>> ticket if they do complain. ;)
>
> Email thread subject:
>
> RFC: new rados whereis command
>
> Earlier pull requests:
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/2729
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/2730
>
> There isn't a redmine ticket since it originated as a PR.

Sorry, I meant the actual FS location bit, which isn't part of that
PR. ;) The "fancy" bit is integrating transparently with the FS
striping strategy, which is a little finicky to get right in a script
right now (though possible) but could definitely change in the future.

Anyway, I'm on board with ripping the cephfs tool out of the system.