Re: Improving latency and ordering of the backfilling workload

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> Here is what could be done (in the context of http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/9566
> ), please let me know if that makes sense:
>
> * ordering:
>
>   * when dequeuing a pending local reservation, chose one that contains
> a PG that belongs to the busiest OSD (i.e. the OSD for which there are
> more PGs waiting for a local reservation than any other)

I'm worried the reservation count won't be an accurate enough proxy for
the amount of work the remote OSD has to do.  It would be very easy to
piggyback some load information on the heartbeat messages which we should
already be exchanging with anyone we would backfill with.

If we go down that path, there are a bunch of patches in the wip-read-hole
series that lay useful groundwork.  Getting that branch into shape
is the next big item after I finish the current batch of pull
requests.