From: ceph-users [ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Sage Weil [sweil@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2014 12:43 PM
To: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ceph-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [ceph-users] running as non-root

While we are on the subject of init systems and packaging, I would *love*
to fix things up for hammer to

 - create a ceph user and group
 - add various users to ceph group (like qemu or kvm user and
apache/www-data?)
 - fix permissions on /var/log/ceph and /var/run/ceph (770?) so that qemu
and rgw can write logs and asok files there
 - make daemons run as ceph user instead of root

The main hangup is with that last one.  As I understand it, when packages
create users, they get a semi-random UID assigned.  That means that all
the data on a ceph-osd disk would have a semi-random UID.  If it were
hot-swapped into another host, the uid would be wrong.  Is there a way
use a fixed uid?

Also on the roadmap is defining proper selinux policies so that these
dameons are confined into the appropriate directories etc., but I imagine
running as non-root is a big help (or even prerequisite?) to making that
happen?

Suggestions or comments?  Or volunteers?  We haven't had time to look at
this yet but I think it's important!

sage